What's the proper name for English Sparkling Wine?

After years of being referred to as 'English Champagne', our sparkling wine may be given its own government-approved name!

'British Fizz' was spotted by Bob and Sam Lindo (winemakers at Camel Valley) on wine lists while visiting New York. The pair, who are members of the UK Vineyard Association, are now applying for protected geographical indication of the term. This would represent and distinguish sparkling wines made from grapes grown in England, Wales or Scotland.

To be successful, the name will first need approval from the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs before getting the final sign-off from the EU.